quinta-feira, abril 18, 2013

Less is actually more


Hello :)
Today I realized it's not just me who has the feeling that these last seasons you can barely find any good quality items in the stores. Trends fade too quickly, and I don't like to waist money to have that item put away in less than a year because I don't feel comfortable in it anymore.
I already stoped shopping at store like bershka, stradivarius, pull and bear and primark although these used to be my favourite stores... 
What changed? Perhaps my attitude towards fashion and clothing. I started to acumulate things, not wearing some which I find a really great waist. I felt a fashion slave. I was capable of saying no to a meal with my friends to save money to buy a new shirt. But I didn't really need that shirt.
Also, after being forced to throw things away because they were no longer in shape to be worn, at least outside, I realized quality does matter. You can have lots of shirts, for example, but you can't wear them all, you like some more and others, so why not keep the ones you really like, the ones that actually fits you? I used to find myself forced to wear things that I didn't feel comfortable with anymore just because I wanted to make my money worth.
What did I do to stop this meaningless consumerism? First of all, a list. I made a list separeted by types of items (ex: coats/jackets, cardigans, skirts, shirts, sweaters....) and I established a number I thought acceptable for each item...
Then I started to search for the style and colors I liked the most, that lasted longer and that I feel comfortable wearing. After this, having all my items listed (I left some empty spaces for new items that I might fall for), It is easier now to separate the things: the ones I want to throw away/donate; the ones I'll wear but not buy similar ones again; the items I have; the ones that need to be replaced and, finally, the ones I need to buy.
How this made my life better? I don't feel anxious getting into a store wanting to buy and liking everything (also because these last collections are really lame, in my opinion). I don't spend so many hours "looking for" new things to buy. I don't feel that I have nothing to wear so much because everything actually looks good when put toguether and I can wear jeans and a shirt and actually getting it to work because I learned that less is more and I am no longer afraid of repeating my sets. I feel happy and I have more time to give more attention to people and other things :D

1 comentário:

  1. This is exactly what happen to me when I started to become a Minimalist. I'm no longer controlled by the trends and by any other consumerist methods. I now know what I really need and what I really like and not what others say that I should like or need.
    I still go into stores once in a while, but before I check my list for things that I need or need to replace and then go online to see if I can find it in any store.
    But now I can go into any store I want I not feel the urge to bring something home with me just because it is on trend or because it's cheap. Before I would go into H&M and I would not leave without buying something.. now I go there and I see nothing to buy.

    Sophie.

    ResponderEliminar